Apparently, my trip out to Denver earlier in the summer was a treasure-trove of humorous observations. I've already written about the "drunken dude." Today, from the same trip, I need to tell you about your tax dollars at work with the TSA.
I was working my way through the maze of security at the Denver airport. Even though I was catching a red-eye, it was still very busy. The guy behind me got stopped because his drivers license was expired. That seems reasonable to me. A nuisance, but reasonable. I got through all of my probings and disrobings and had finally redressed myself after surviving all the screenings. As I was walking away victoriously, I noticed a very threatening looking passenger who had been pulled aside by the TSA for extra scrutiny.
Yes, this fellow was scary, all right. Definitely worthy of a second and third look. The guy was, no lie, at least 90 years old. Moved slowly, hunched over, with a cane. They were working him over with the magnetic wand and asking him to raise his hands. He couldn't even raise his hands to shoulder height! He could barely stand up on his own!
These are the people we want to closely inspect? Really?! Because you know it was a couple dozen frail, geriatric, Caucasians who flew those planes into the Pentagon and World Trade Center towers. Oh, wait, no it wasn't. I'm sorry, I know it's politically incorrect, but I don't have a problem profiling for terrorists.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I hope to read this story someday on microfiche.
I had exactly the same experience when Karen and I went to FL. In the next security cubicle, being patted down and wanded was this four foot tall, God-only-knows how old woman in a wheelchair!! I know I was afraid... And you know, it struck me that if a person were going to hijack a plane, wouldn't they have all their credentials in order thereby avoiding suspicion?
Just saying.
Post a Comment